Vision & Mission
As a global youth movement, we strive for just societies based on equality and fostered by intercultural understanding.
Horizons promotes intercultural dialogue between youth, fosters cooperation between the East and the West, creates awareness about injustice and inequality, empowers youth to promote mutual respect, envisions being the voice of youth who speak out against radicalism and intolerance and calls upon politicians to implement and pursue just policies worldwide.
- The belief that ‘equality’ is understood as defined by Article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms […], without distinction of any kind, such as race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty”;
- The belief that whenever a society incorporates equality and intercultural understanding, a society can be viewed upon as being a just society, since every actor within the society is equal according to the law and those who are subjected to those laws and social environment;
- The belief that, while all the while striving for equality, we encourage a move beyond ahistorical, ethnocentric, paternalistic, and de-politicized patterns of engaging with one another;
- The belief that dialogue and cooperation can only take place when those participating perceive each other as equals;
- The belief that dialogue and cooperation must aim towards achieving justice, as justice is the key to finding peaceful and sustainable solutions to societal conflicts;
- The belief that youth are capable of changing the world. Youth are the future leaders and the key figures to make or break our future. Youth, more than anyone, have the power to shift paradigms and inspire society to change for the better.
- Welcoming to all youth – as long as the person in question supports a just society based on human equality;
- Youth oriented – we are an organization by youth and for youth;
- Respect – every human being deserves respect and recognition;
- Diversity – we believe that the inclusion of a variety of backgrounds strengthens society;
- Perseverance – we do not accept the status quo and we will overcome all challenges in achieving our goals;
- Empowerment – we provide youth with tools to develop and organize themselves and to take individual responsibility;
- Large network – we are continuously working on expanding our network of like-minded youth;
- Pro-active – we try to address issues before they become a fait accompli;
- Action oriented – we focus on results and actions instead of rhetoric and inaction;
- (International) law – we believe in (international) law as a guidance and solution to societal conflicts. We support the strengthening of an international legal system independent of political preferences, power and relationships.